Thursday, May 17, 2012

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project


There are video games, and then there are video games that define one's childhood. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhattan Project is undoubtedly one of the latter. I never owned the game as a kid, but I often rented this masterpiece. Not that it mattered: several friends owned a copy and TMNT3 was one of the first games I ever beat, shortly after it launched in 1992.

The Turtles were my heroes growing up. I knew, watching the cartoon, that I wanted to be a trash-talking slacker who ate pizza at every opportunity and spent his free time fighting crime and playing video games. Eventually I abandoned the fighting crime aspect, but I like to think that I have been successful in the rest.

I distinctly remember staying up until 5:00 a.m. beating the one night because we had to return the cartridge to the rental store the next day. That's the kind of gaming pressure one simply cannot simulate as an adult, and with the internet and its access to everything interesting ever conceived.

Playing through Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project again over the last few days totally recaptured some of the mondo times playing turtles games, collecting the action figures, or watching the cartoon religiously. I still have over a hundred TMNT action figures, but with no place to display them they just sit tucked away in my closet, a quiet metaphor for the lost magic of the 1980s.

Even though I own the cartridge, I decided to play through the game on an emulator so I could take screenshots (which you can see below, I've posted the best 19 of the 50-something shots I captured). Even on an emulator, the second I saw the epic sprite flicker and garbage columns on the left and the right, I knew I was home.

TMNT3 is your basic brawler, with a lot of polish and flair for the NES. Konami had been making killer beat 'em ups for years at this point, and the influence of other games (notably Konami's Crime Fighters and especially Capcom's Final Fight) has left a positive aura of perfection on this cart. The only downside to the gameplay is that, by Level 8 you'll start to feel the pressure of the repetitive enemies, some of which seem to hit you no matter what.

The bosses, likewise, can be tedious. Most of the bosses take--and I'm not exaggerating--over 100 jump-kicks to kill. Leonardo's special move proves to be a lifesaver in these situations, and can pretty much destroy any boss you come across.

Despite some minor flaws, TMNT3: TMP is totally worth your time. You haven't played the NES until you've played this game. I just beat the game this morning, but I had to use the secret code to restart Stage 8. After I hit post, it's time to ditch the emulator, turn off all the lights, and sit in front of my giant CRT and NES until Shredder & co. eat dirt.




















32 comments:

  1. I think I adored this one over TMNT 2. It just had better variety, imo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember picking up a copy of this game at Funocland in 1999, playing it and being pleasantly surprised at how awesome it was. I mean, I shouldn't have been that surprised since I played and loved TMNT II and TMNT IV. I wish this game would get a Virtual Console release. It so deserves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a fun title. I loved all of the other TMNT posts I was just catching up on here - but reading what you wrote about this game and looking over the screenshots brought back some quality memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mortal Kombat
    developer midway
    series Mortal Kombat
    platforms arcade
    Genre fighting
    Arcade system midway t unit
    super nes
    game gear
    game boy
    sega cd
    amiga

    ReplyDelete
  5. lethal enforcers
    developer Konami
    publisher Konami
    series lethal enforcers
    Platforms arcade super nes
    PlayStation
    sega cd
    Sega Mega drive
    genre light gun shooter
    art of fighting
    developer snk
    series art of fighting
    platforms arcade Neo Geo super nes
    genre fighting
    Arcade system Neo Geo mvs

    ReplyDelete
  6. x- men
    developer Konami
    publisher Konami
    platforms arcade
    genre beat em up

    ReplyDelete
  7. hydro thunder
    developer midway
    platforms arcade PlayStation Nintendo 64
    dreamcast

    ReplyDelete
  8. taito corporation make beat em ups

    ReplyDelete
  9. golden axe
    publishers sega
    series golden axe
    Platforms arcade
    genre hack and slash
    arcade system sega 16

    ReplyDelete
  10. street fighter 2 turbo
    developer capcom
    publisher capcom
    series street fighter
    Platforms arcade super nes
    genre fighting
    Arcade system cps1

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pokémon snap
    station
    developer Nintendo
    series Pokémon
    platforms Nintendo 64
    genre puzzle

    ReplyDelete
  12. fatal fury 2
    article talk
    developer snk
    series fatal fury
    Platforms arcade PC Engine super rom
    neo Geo AES
    68000
    super nes
    sega Gênesis
    genre fighting
    Arcade system Neo Geo mvs

    ReplyDelete
  13. fighting game coming out in 1993 by data east
    be fighter’s history
    developer data
    East
    series fighter’s history
    platforms arcade super nes
    genre fighting
    super street fighter 11
    article talk
    developer capcom
    publisher capcom
    series street fighter
    platforms arcade super nes
    Sega Mega drive
    genre fighting
    Arcade system cps2

    ReplyDelete
  14. fighting game coming out in 1994 by midway games port to super nes be killer instinct
    developer midway
    Publisher rare
    platforms arcade super nes
    genre fighting
    art of fighting 2
    developer snk
    publisher snk
    series art of fighting
    platforms arcade Neo Geo Neo Geo cd super famicom
    genre fighting
    arcade system Neo Geo mvs

    ReplyDelete
  15. gauntlet video game used to be made by Atari Games only

    ReplyDelete
  16. gauntlet developer Atari Games
    publisher Atari Games
    series gauntlet
    platforms arcade
    genre horizontal shooter
    gauntlet was port to arcade apple 11 msx Macintosh
    nes
    master system
    Atari st

    ReplyDelete
  17. San Francisco rush
    developer Atari Games
    publisher Atari Games
    series rush
    Platforms arcade PlayStation Nintendo 64
    windows
    genre racing

    ReplyDelete
  18. nfl blitz used to be made by midway games port to arcade PlayStation Nintendo 64
    nba jam used to be made by midway games port to arcade game boy sega game gear sega Gênesis super nes

    ReplyDelete
  19. gauntlet legends used to be made by Atari Games port to arcade PlayStation Nintendo 64 dreamcast
    captain America and the avengers used to be made by data east port to arcade super nes game boy sega game gear Sega Mega drive
    nes
    king of monsters used to be made by snk corporation port to arcade Neo Geo super nes

    ReplyDelete
  20. terminator 2nd judgment day used to be made by midway manufacturing port to arcade game boy
    with the combatribes
    developer technos
    platforms arcade super nes
    genre beat em up

    ReplyDelete
  21. captain commando publisher capcom
    platforms arcade PlayStation super nes
    genre beat em up
    bad dudes vs. dragon ninja
    article talk
    developer data east
    Platforms arcade amiga
    Atari st
    Amstrad CPC
    Commodore 64
    nes
    zx spectrum
    genre beat em up

    ReplyDelete
  22. street fighter 2
    developer capcom
    publisher capcom
    series street fighter
    Platforms arcade
    genre fighting
    Arcade system cps1
    super nes
    fatal fury
    developer snk
    developer snk
    series fatal fury
    platforms arcade super nes
    neo Geo
    68000
    Sega Mega drive
    genre fighting
    Arcade system Neo Geo mvs
    with sunset riders
    developer Konami
    publisher Konami
    platforms arcade super nes
    genre run and gun

    ReplyDelete
  23. arcade game coming out in 2000’s by midway games

    ReplyDelete
  24. snk article talk
    and king of fighters

    ReplyDelete
  25. king of fighters 95
    developer snk
    series king of fighters
    Platforms arcade PlayStation Neo Geo Neo Geo cd
    Sega Saturn
    game boy
    genre fighting
    Arcade system Neo Geo mvs
    Mortal Kombat 3
    developer midway
    series Mortal Kombat
    platforms arcade
    genre fighting
    Arcade system midway x unit
    PlayStation sega Gênesis super nes
    Mortal Kombat 4
    developer midway
    series Mortal Kombat
    Platforms arcade PlayStation Nintendo 64
    Game boy color
    genre fighting
    Arcade system midway Zeus

    ReplyDelete
  26. mortal ultimate kombat 3
    used to be made by midway games port to arcade Sega Saturn
    with Mortal Kombat 2 used to be made by midway games port to arcade sega 32x
    king of fighters 96
    developer snk
    publisher snk
    series king of fighters
    Platforms arcade PlayStation Neo Geo Neo Geo cd Sega Saturn game boy
    genre fighting
    Arcade system Neo Geo mvs
    street fighter alpha 2
    developer capcom
    publisher capcom
    series street fighter
    Platforms arcade PlayStation super nes Sega Saturn
    windows
    genre fighting
    Arcade system cps2

    ReplyDelete
  27. super street fighter 2 turbo alpha alpha 3 used to be made by capcom port to arcade PlayStation Sega Saturn dreamcast 3do game boy color game boy advance
    gauntlet dark legacy used to be made by midway port to arcade PlayStation 2 Xbox GameCube game boy advance



    ReplyDelete
  28. fatal fury special used to be made by snk corporation port to arcade Neo Geo super nes
    with sengoku used to be made by snk corporation port to arcade Neo Geo super famjcom
    undercover cops
    developer irem
    platforms arcade super famicom
    Super Nintendo

    ReplyDelete