Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Atari Checkers Artwork


I've been hooked on Activision's checkers for the Atari 2600. But its packaging is total crap, so here is Atari's version. 

I know I'm strange, but this Activision Checkers thing started when I saw some book in the Library about advances in computer game theory (Chess, Blackjack, etc) and started reading. To my surprise it's entirely fascinating how smart programmers in the '70s & '80s were about games. As a sometimes game designer it's very informative.

I haven't actually played the Atari version, but Activision's checkers cart is tough as shit. Not sure why it's so hard, but I haven't beaten it yet. Back in 2003-2004 I was a checkers wizard and could stomp every computer I came across. Either I'm rusty or some super genius was programming for Activision. (both highly likely). People tend to be dismissive of checkers, but it test basically the same skills as Chess without being overly-complicated. True story: Edgar Allen Poe preferred checkers to chess for that exact reason.

Finally, look how fucking smug that kid looks in the Atari artwork. His female servant looks pleased with his move as well. Obviously girls can't play checkers. GG atari.