Monday, June 13, 2011

Block NES Romhack


This is a romhack of the original sup3r m4rio br0th3rs. It was one of the first romhacks I completed, and I was just learning how to use Tile Layer Pro. It seemed like a worthy cause at the time. Screenshots are from version 1.0, which is no longer available.

However, you can download version 2.0 here.

I was really lazy in 2005, when I made this hack, and I just changed the sprites for M. into Block, which caused all of the text in the game to get messed up, yet remain barely readable. I grew to like the effect a little, made the game seem even stranger--like some Russian pirate cart.

Check out this super de-make in these screenshots:





3 comments:

mrjordak said...

Dude, that's awesome :D

(if it for some reason uses my other account when posting, it's mrjordak).

Matt Dickinson said...

Works great. Reminds me of "Atari" versions of Mario Bros that I've seen on the web.

You don't really need much detail in graphics or sound to have complex gameplay. Actually simplifying today's games to a low color flat-shaded polygonal experience might make them easier to play.

Adam Schule said...

Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it. scary scary games