Sunday, August 5, 2012

Ultima IV Quest of the Avatar Tileset


Last week I finally finished Ultima II, which allowed me to return to my 7-months-in-progress game of Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar. Tonight, all I have to do is reach the depths of hell and recover the lost codex of the Avatar.

So in honor of this historic event I'm posting the Ultima IV tileset in all its glory. More posts on various Ultima-related escapades forthcoming.

Overall it's an amazing tileset that can teach new pixel artists a lot about economy and representation (particularly of environments). My only criticism of the graphics is the decision to use 4 frames of animation for the enemies. 2 frames per monster would have been plenty. Sorry it's slightly messed up at the bottom, that was a mistake I made when adjusting the colors to more-accurately reflect how they appear on a very old but brilliant 14-inch CRT monitor.

2 comments:

mad-ultima-scientist said...

Can anyone explain what tiles 49-52 (4th row, 2nd-5th tiles, between column and mast) are for?
49 White SW
50 White SE
51 White NW
52 White NE

It has been many years since I last played this game and I can't remember!

Unknown said...

Can anyone explain how to install these? I can't get them to work. Thanks in advance for any help!